Shedding light on a dark corner of the mobile advertising ecosystem
Understanding mobile advertising—and its effect on user acquisition—can be tricky. Are competitive apps or games being adopted organically or are the developers utilizing mobile advertising to attract new users? Which user acquisition channels are being leveraged? How successful are user acquisition campaigns and which messages and creatives are proving successful?
Previously, these mission-critical questions would go unanswered.
Today, we’re excited to unveil Acquisition Insights, a revolutionary new exploration and decision-making tool for the mobile advertising ecosystem that joins our existing suite of mobile intelligence tools for a holistic look at the performance of mobile apps. With Acquisition Insights, customers gain access to a robust dashboard that graphically shows how thousands of games and mobile apps are utilizing advertising to attract new users.
For the first time ever, mobile user acquisition teams are empowered to evaluate, measure, and analyze the advertising campaigns of similar or competitive mobile apps so that they can choose the best strategies for their own advertising campaigns.
When customers first open Acquisition Insights, they’re greeted by a dashboard that instantly displays the most-downloaded apps for the current week. Once they gain an understanding of which apps have been trending, they can then drill down to any app in order to learn more about why it’s been trending.
Acquisition Insights provides never-before-seen competitive data and analysis on mobile advertising
- Learn how apps are gaining traction. Search or browse for a specific app and instantly discern the user acquisition channels that are driving downloads and learn whether the app is driven by organic or paid discovery.
- Save time in creative optimization. Acquisition Insights not only shows which ad networks are driving traffic, it also shows the real ad creatives that are performing, saving customers valuable time in creative optimization.
- Identify trends and track progress over time. Acquisition Insights has been in the works for more than a year, enabling customers to compare historical data and trends from 2012 to the present day.
- Understand and optimize for key markets. View advertising data and analysis for the major app markets across North America and Europe. More geographies coming soon.
Real Acquisition Insights screenshots
- Zynga – Running with Friends uses mobile ads — Acquisition Insights shows how Running with Friends utilizes mobile ad campaigns across several networks and the resulting impact on user acquisition. The colored lines show App Store rank across genres (Overall, Games, Action, Adventure) for the US iPhone App store in June 2013. The colored area graph below shows mobile advertising activities across several mobile ad network. Further down, the dashboard shows the real creatives that were displayed and how they performed.
- Google+ targets British users with Wimbledon ads — Acquisition Insights can be targeted to regions and specific time periods. Acquisition Insights makes it possible to analyze highly-targeted mobile ad campaigns and how they affect app success in different regions and time periods.
- 1800Flowers and Mother’s Day — The 1800Flowers app utilized in-app advertising campaigns in two distinct ad networks (withheld) in the U.S. leading up to Mother’s Day (between May 1 and 15, 2013). The lines show increasing (and then decreasing) App Store rank during advertising activity (the red and purple area graphs) below.
Early customers have spoken: Acquisition Insights provides mission-critical data
GREE is the global leader in mobile social gaming. In addition to using Acquisition Insights to get a deeper understanding of trends and user behavior, GREE also leverages the service to analyze the effectiveness of other advertising campaigns and their effect on user acquisition. This allows them to create more meaningful and successful campaigns for their multi-platform titles.
“We use Acquisition Insights and the Onavo Insights service to make data-driven decisions that significantly accelerate and improve user acquisition. We use the data to guide our media buying and optimize creative. With Onavo Insights, we’ve been able to increase engagement (clicks-to-ad-impressions as well as installs-to-clicks) and scale our business at a fraction of the cost.” — Sho Masuda, VP Marketing, GREE
Win, a social game company backed by bwin.party digital entertainment plc, develops and publishes social applications to take gaming to the next level. Win utilizes Onavo Insights to get a holistic understanding of its competitive landscape, identify the best performing UA partners and creative optimization strategies, and create effective, data-driven user acquisition strategies.
“Attracting new players and keeping existing players coming back is crucial for a mobile game’s long-term success. Data from Acquisition Insights and Onavo Insights enables us to analyze the behavior of millions of players and make better decisions about how best to drive user acquisition and increase user engagement. Onavo Insights helps us make non-trivial business decisions that are derived from real user data, which has led to more effective user acquisition and marketing practices as well as a stronger growth trajectory for our games.” — Barak Rabinowitz, CEO, Win (a subsidiary of bwin.party)
Acquisition Insights sheds a light on the hidden mechanisms behind mobile advertising—and it may change the mobile advertising landscape forever by enabling mobile app creators and stakeholders to get unprecedented visibility into the advertising initiatives of leading apps around the world.
Acquisition Insights is available today for new and existing Onavo Insights customers. To learn more about Acquisition Insights, please contact us.